I know - odd title. I've just been feeling a lot like my bird feeder lately in some ways.A few days ago I finally hung the bird feeder I got as a housewarming gift. I'd been looking forward to it for some time, mostly because I remember watching the birds outside Grandma B's big picture window and have fond memories of those times. So in the hopes of attracting my own colorful birds I hung it where I can watch from my office window.
Now I know that it would take several days/weeks for birds to find it, but I fully expected them to find it sooner than they have. So it's day 3 and so far I've had one cautious and very loud blue jay who came close to look, but didn't actually land on the feeder.
So what does this have to do with the Holy Spirit you may be asking. Well, it's obviously going to be an imperfect analogy, but here goes...
I am the bird feeder. The seed is the Holy Spirit. I need to be filled with the Holy Spirit in order to be in tune with the Lord's will and work in my life and to be used by Him to serve others - similar to how my feeder needs to be full of seed in order to 'serve' the wildlife. If it's empty, it's little more than a perch. Still functioning, but not nearly at the capacity or potential that it has. Just like me. I'm a follower of Christ - saved by grace through faith (not of works!) . Through salvation I've not only received the gift of eternal life, but the Holy Spirit as well. If I'm not filled with the Spirit I'm like an empty bird feeder. Still functioning as a believer, but lacking the power and not living up to the potential that I could be if I were filled with Him.
Again, very imperfect analogy. But aren't they pretty much all when we try to understand God with an earthly frame of reference?
So back to the 'normal' bird feeder. Have I seen any more birds? Nope. Not since that first inquisitive blue jay. That's another thing I'm learning through this - patience :)Listening to: My 5 star playlist - right now that means I'm listening to "Formentera What (Albert Vorne) Mix".
Reading: 'Raising Atlantis' by Thomas Greanias. Archaeology, Treasure hunting, Action, lost civilizations - all the makings of a good adventure novel.
Studying: 'Living Beyond Yourself' by Beth Moore. Excellent study on the Fruit of the Spirit. It's an online course that you can do anytime and well worth it!
FB Friends: Read it in situ here: dreamsync.blogspot.com
Posted by
Christine


0 comments:
Post a Comment